Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    I've found four of these online quite cheap and am thinking about picking them up

    Quoted from the owner prior to the guy that is currently selling them.

    48" x 40" x 16-1/2". The cabinets are constructed from birch plywood and are basically indestructible. They are designed to accept 12" professional loudspeakers. They were built in Canada and sold under a trade name of Butterfly.
    Here is a picture the seller found online..... it's similar if not the same as what I'm looking at.

    4
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Looks very similar to the "wicked one", at first glance anyway.

    DECWARE's Wicked-One Horn Subwoofer

    It has a "LAB" thing goin on, and i've seen similar sub horns out there, hopefully i can find a likeness.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    No, not really..... this Butterfly only runs one woofer. Here are more pictures, which are of the actual units in question.

    5

    6

    7

    8

    Oh, and some big JBL horns!


    9
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Inactive Member stéphane Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Spec Butterfly

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Late 70's, or at least that's when I met the designer at a NAMM show.

    He sold a few, I have seen several sets over the years.

    Well made. Loud. PA horns, probably good to 45 or so. I would stack them and point them into a corner to use the room walls to extend the horn...the result would probably hurt someone...

    You actually want a higher resonance driver for these, The horn loading will drop the drivers resonance about an octave, IE 45 became 22 or so.

    Beyma 12LX60 will thunder in these things, for a cheapie try Eminence Basslite 2012.

    You need a little higher resonance as I said, and decent xMax.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Late 70's, or at least that's when I met the designer at a NAMM show.

    He sold a few, I have seen several sets over the years.

    Well made. Loud. PA horns, probably good to 45 or so. I would stack them and point them into a corner to use the room walls to extend the horn...the result would probably hurt someone...
    That sounds great...... much better review than I thought I'd get :-)

    You actually want a higher resonance driver for these, The horn loading will drop the drivers resonance about an octave, IE 45 became 22 or so.
    Good to know..... I don't know anything about matching drivers to enclosures

    Beyma 12LX60 will thunder in these things, for a cheapie try Eminence Basslite 2012.

    You need a little higher resonance as I said, and decent xMax.
    I've taken a look at both drivers online...... I didn't know Beyma is a Spanish company. Do they actually manufacturer in Spain?

    What made you suggest the Basslite 2012? It's a MI driver, and I thought it was best to stay away from them, for sound reproduction, since they are designed to color the sound when driven hard?

    For cheap, I'd probably use the Eminence made Peavey Ram drivers that I have. Money's short and I have 8 of them sitting on a shelf that I removed form a couple of old Peavey cabinets I got from church years ago. I've also got a pair of 417-8H's, but those may be going on Ebay.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by stéphane Rame View Post
    Spec Butterfly
    Thank you for posting that. Where did you find it?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Inactive Member stéphane Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT Anybody heard of "Butterfly" horns from Canada?

    Hello,
    This come from the French magazine "The Audiophile" No. 43 dated April 1988, a report from a Canadian audiophile, they are equipped with Altec 416.
    Best regards.
    Stéphane

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.